Just to save anyone plodding through the same trial-and-error process I just spent an hour or two on...
The onboard audio on an ASUS M2N-E seems to work perfectly 'out of the can' under 7.10. Except... microphone input. To get this working you need to:
- switch set the right card 'model' option for the driver (snd-hda-intel ) for MCP55 controller's and its connections on the ASUS board.
options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-digout
I put this in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base but /etc/modprove.d/options or even a new
file in /etc/modprobe.d should work fine too.
- Switch the 1st input source to the correct microphone input (Mic and Front Mic are support) and enable capture on the 1st capture channel.
I found KDE's kmixer worked well for this. I ound the rear panel microphone input to work significantly better. It might be worth trying model=6stack or even something else (see http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Hda) to see if the front can be brought up properly.
- Set the microphone boost for the select microphone input to a level that suits your 'micro.
I found turning on analog mix and to enable the microphones as sources for output to allow interactive tweaking of the options was helpful for initial tuning / experimentation with switch settings.